Monday, January 2, 2012

A new kind of resolution

It seems like everywhere I turn right now I hear about New Year’s resolutions. I find it quite fascinating actually – it’s as though everyone in the western world suffers temporary bouts of amnesia, forgetting that last year (and every year before that) these same resolutions ended up in the crapper two weeks into it. But this year will be different right? You will finally drop that weight. You will finally run that marathon. You will finally learn to speak Arabic, read Moby Dick and knit socks for everyone in your family.

I can’t really judge; I am the worst at making unrealistic goals and then beating myself up when I don’t reach them. The beginning of every year usually goes something like this: In addition to learning a new language and writing the next great American novel, I will magically turn my body into something found in a Victoria Secret’s catalog by denying myself all desserts and anything else delicious. I will also plan to work out two hours a day (if Madonna can do it, so can I), getting up at 4 in the morning so I have enough time.

I end up spending all my time reading magazine articles about kicking bad habits and posting encouraging sticky notes on my mirror (“You can do it!”). I brought bags of celery in my purse to birthday parties and glared at anyone who dared to eat the cake in front of me (“Bastards!”).

Two weeks later would find me sleep-deprived and curled in a fetal position on the floor, clutching a pint of ice cream and with chocolate smeared all over my face.

So this year I’ve decided to stop. the. madness.

I’ve spent the last several months learning to accept my body the way God made it. I’ve ditched dieting. The extra junk in my trunk is going to stay where it is. And I’m determined that my resolution will not involve trying to change that.

Instead, I want to focus on what matters. I want to spend my time doing what I was put on Earth to do: Worship my God with a joyful heart.

But since my heart is rarely joyful, and I have an awful tendency to overdo it (see above), I’m going to start small, i.e., my one resolution is to read the Bible every day this year. The online reading plan promised me I could do it in 15 minutes a day. And I can handle 15 minutes.

What are your resolutions this year? Are they doable?

5 comments:

  1. Dear Twisted Fruit,

    I applaud your effort to focus on the most important thing, which is to get your relationship straight with God. If that is out of whack, everything else will be off-kilter as well. The Lord is in control, but until you trust Him and give your struggles over to Him, you will not find the strength you need to persevere. For He is the one who gives you the ability to take your next breath. Thanks for your honesty and your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your new blog and have found it really great to read! I love your honesty and look forward to following you.

    My 2012 resolutions are somewhat a continuation (do-over) of last years but involve:

    - Drinking more water
    - Committing more time to my passions/hobbies
    - Learning to make healthy, yummy meals

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I can completely relate! I have set out to do some pretty unrealistic things and of course always fail! I am encouraged by your words, Courtney. I resolve to find something to be thankful for every day :)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Court! I totally agree that focusing on body image is exhausting and it takes away from what is important, God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to setting unrealistic goals and beating myself up for not meeting them... Get out of my head!! :)

    This is an awesome blog, and you're so funny! Love the part about the sticky notes and the celery in the bag. Bastards!

    ReplyDelete